Hey there! I’m Krista
and I pretty much run the show over here at krista-howard.com — with the help and moral support of my wonderful husband, Cully.
My DIY home projects journey really began when I was in my early 20’s.
As long as I can remember, I’ve had a love for interior design. As a pre-teen, I had to have the latest interior decor programs (back when everything was CD-ROM style) and loved playing around with new room designs on the computer.
Fast forward to my twenties in our 650 square foot condo. My and Cully’s first experience with home ownership and where we started learning just how rewarding DIY home projects could be. On any given day, you could find me brewing up ways to make the space feel more like home and was eager to learn anything I could to make our house a home, without breaking the bank.
In 2014, Cully and I purchased a home where lots of work needed to be done. Luckily, much of the work was cosmetic, so we we’re up for the challenge.
Inspired by the ever growing world of DIY home projects (hello HGTV and This Old House!), we rolled up our sleeves and got to work. Knocking down walls, installing tile, putting up drywall…you name it, we we doing it with this house.
I LOVE to read interior design books and I love learning about and trying different ways to incorporate beautiful home designs on a budget.
On the decor side, I have a passion for interior design, and I do it more as a method of relaxation. I love to browse home websites and put together ideas that inspire and help others create their special place.
But the thing I love most is taking what someone considers trash and transforming it into something new and beautiful!
I got into thrift store furniture flipping several years ago and was hooked.
I think it’s one of the best ways to transform your space while saving loads ‘o money…and I love saving money! I’m intrigued by how easy it is to create an entirely new space, simply with a little paint and creativity.
In 2015, to help earn extra money for Cully’s medical bills, I started selling painted furniture pieces. You can read about our full journey here.
Why Start krista-howard.com?
Through the years, I found I particularly have a passion for helping other like-minded creative business owners succeed in their journey. Especially those who are wanting to leave their 9-5 to pursue their dreams (you and me both, girl!). To me, the feeling of entrepreneurship freedom is like no other.
As you can see, I’ve been passionate about beautiful home designs and inspiring others most of my life now.
When I realized how many people were interested in living a DIY lifestyle, but were just not sure where to start, I knew that starting a DIY blog to share my knowledge is what I wanted to do.
In 2016, I took my love for furniture painting and DIY home decor to the next level by developing my own chalky finish Furniture Paint line (check it out at vintageandrestorebyk.com).
That same year, this born and raised corporate gal quit the corporate world to pursue the dream of entrepreneurship.
My husband and I traveled from state to state to showcase our products and help others see how much money they could save by updating outdated furniture, cabinets and decor simply by using our products.
Additionally, we met many creative-based business owners, just like us, who were pursuing the ultimate dream of escaping the 9-5 to do what they love.
Coming from their shoes, I knew exactly how challenging it is to manage a demanding full time corporate job and the responsibility of starting a creative business.
So, here I am current day, sharing my business experiences, DIY projects, interior decor tips and more, all in hopes to inspire and help others gain confidence in their DIY home projects and creative business!
Follow our most recent journey as we work on on our new home in Grand Junction, Colorado!
Random Fun Facts About Me:
- I hate flying and everything that comes with the process. I don’t do heights and turbulence – no way. I’m no longer required to fly for the work I do, and so I simply don’t do it. I’ll drive, take a train, boat, whatever it takes…but no flying for this gal! Ok, the ONE exception is if I’m going on vacation someplace amazing and the only realistic option is to fly 🙂
- When I was younger, I was obsessed with Troll dolls…I had quite the extensive collection and my absolute favorite was the 14” grandpa doll…oh how I miss those little bundles of joy.
- While vacationing in Florida many years ago, and when Honey I Shrunk the Kids was super popular (showing my age here), my family and I ran into Rick Moranis at Universal Studios. PS – He’s a super nice guy!
- When I was a kiddo, I swallowed a dime while trying to hide it from my sister. I suppose I thought she was going to try to take it from me? Unfortunately (for my parents wallet, mostly), the dime got stuck and I had to go into surgery to have it removed.
- You may have gathered this from reading my blog, but my biggest accomplishment (and ultimate fear crusher) was when I quit the corporate world to pursue my dream of entrepreneurship.
- I spend waaaaay too much time in thrift stores, estate sales and junk yards…I can’t help myself! You never know what you’ll find if you don’t look, right?
- If I could save every homeless and in need dog on the planet, I would. Dogs are amazing creatures that have always held a special place in my heart. I wholeheartedly support rescues, shelters, etc…. every chance I get. There are so many wonderful rescues that need help and my personal fav is Save the Giants .
Welcome; I am thrilled you’re here!
Your DIY Partner in Crime,